Labels

Sunday 31 January 2016

Wonder book review- R.J. Palacio.

Author: R.J Palacio
Pages: 315.
Genre: Coming Of Age.
Publisher: Knopf Books For Young Readers.
Publication Date: February 14th 2012
Buy It On Amazon Here.
Find It On Goodreads Here.
    

You can't blend in when you were born to stand out.
My name is August. I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.
August Pullman wants to be an ordinary ten-year-old. He does ordinary things. He eats ice cream. He plays on his Xbox. He feels ordinary - inside.
But Auggie is far from ordinary. Ordinary kids don't make other ordinary kids run away screaming in playgrounds. Ordinary kids don't get stared at wherever they go.
Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie has been home-schooled by his parents his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the cruelty of the outside world. Now,
for the first time, he's being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it. All he wants is to be accepted - but can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, underneath it all?
Narrated by Auggie and the people around him whose lives he touches forever, Wonder is a funny, frank, astonishingly moving debut to read in one sitting, pass on to others, and remember long after the final page.


Wonder was a book that I was always seeing pictures of on my Instagram and I was always seeing reviews on youtube so I really wanted to see what all of the hype was about. I can say first of all that it definitely lived up to my expectations.  It was amazing and only took me about 2 days to finish! 

I loved the way that the book was wrote from each characters point of view. And I also loved the way that it was so easy to get to know each character.  I felt like I really knew what was going on in their heads and how they thought of eachover. This book really affected me and gave me an insight as to how hard it is for some people to even do 'normal' everyday things, like going to school.

Wonder is a book based on a 10 year old boy called August Pullman, who has a 'Severe Facial Deformity'. August has been home-schooled for his whole life because of this, but now he wants to start normal school.

When he first starts school, August experienced a lot of people pointing, starting and making faces at him, But August pushes through this as he really wants to start school. As the book progresses, August makes a few friends when they get to know his kind, funny, thoughtful and loving charisma. 
The first friends that August makes are Summer and Jack. Summer was a lovely character. Summer was everything that you would want a friend to be. She was kind to everyone, but she was especially kind to Auggie. Jack made a few mistakes throughout the book, but in the end it really showed how much August meant to him when he sacrificed his old friends for August.

Another character in the book was Via. Via was Augusts older sister, and in some parts of the book it showed how hard it was for Via at times as well. Via always kept her problems to herself and never blamed her brother for anything. I could tell the August could really trust Via when telling her about stuff and it was also clear how much August meant to her. Via was such a strong character.

August and Daisy also loved their dog, Daisy. Daisy was one of Augusts only friends for a while and I really felt an emotional attachment to her, and all of the other characters. 

Parts of the book really showed to me how cruel and horrible people could be, but also opposing to that it also showed me the kind in some people and how they can really put themselves in danger to save a good friend. Because of this, the book to me really was an emotional rollercoaster. It had me laughing, crying, and smiling, And because of this, i'm giving this book 5 stars. 

R.J Palacio is such an amazing author, she really has a talent and her writing is so so inspiring. 
I would really Recommend that everyone goes to a shop and picks this book up because I promise you, you will not regret it.

-Jade xx 



No comments:

Post a Comment